Sometimes it’s hard enough to remember where you put your keys, let alone where you saved a digital asset. Luckily, with a quality digital asset management (DAM) system, you should be able to locate and retrieve your digital assets quickly and easily. And that’s a good thing, because many don’t recognize the value of a given asset until it’s needed, which may be long after it was saved.
Digital assets (i.e. video, audio, images) create some unique challenges for storage and retrieval. This holds especially true, now that they’re being created with higher resolutions which, therefore, creates larger file sizes. This causes:
- Storage Problems – Larger files require more disk space. And, because you likely don’t need the majority of these files for everyday use, yet they must be available if or when needed, more storage adds up to higher costs.
- Retrieval Problems – Larger files also take longer to traverse the network, slowing everything else down and clogging things up. Additionally, finding what you actually want is another retrieval challenge. Does your file name contain only a high-level description, a date, and maybe a source indicator (ex: camera 1, microphone 18)? If so, it can be tough to hunt down the specific part of the file you want without a lot of tedious searching.
DAM it. There must be an answer… Well, that is the answer: DAM it. (Kind of like a Who’s on First thing) Digital Asset Management (DAM) it.
There are many DAM solutions on the market that address the tremendous growth in unstructured data (such as digital assets). These solutions provide good capabilities for easily storing, managing, and retrieving these files. Not all solutions take the same approach, however, so carefully consider how you’ll use your digital assets, how long you’ll want to retain them, and who / how these files are typically used.
StorMagic ARQvault is a powerful DAM solution and has many capabilities. To highlight a few that address the issues above, let’s take a closer look at ARQvault and how it manages digital assets.
ARQvault delivers the following capabilities:
- Flexibility: Supports all storage types: SSD, HDD, SAN, NAS, tape, optical, cloud. This helps lower costs — tape is typically 90% less than disk.
- Automated Tiering: Uses policies you create to automatically tier data to the right place. For example, the most recent data is stored to the fastest disk for quick access, and older data is moved to secondary and tertiary storage (i.e. NAS, Tape). This enables customers to save about 50% on storage costs vs. other solutions
- Performance Optimization: Creates a low-resolution proxy of high-resolution data that typically occupies about 5% of the original file size. The low-res proxies can be kept on fast disk and are ideal for day-to-day use (i.e. reviewing footage, listening to audio, and even media editing). High-res versions are always immediately retrievable, even if they’ve moved to tape, cloud, or optical. This feature consumes a lot less disk, improves network performance, and saves money
- Intelligent Search: Uses metadata and customizable fields so you can identify key attributes in and about the given asset to make searching and finding much faster. This improves the user experience and enhances productivity.
You can learn more about ARQvault and all its capabilities here.
Don’t get frustrated with trying to manage all your digital assets; there are great solutions that deliver the results you need and don’t break the bank. Just say DAM it!