The First Complete Edge-as-a-Service Solution
Hivecell HCI is an innovative platform-as-a-service solution for hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI). Hivecell HCI orchestrates, monitors, protects, and manages virtual machines (VMs) at the edge and includes StorMagic SvSAN to provide uptime via highly available storage. Hivecell HCI is the first complete Edge-as-a-Service (EaaS) solution.
The Data Is at The Edge
It is estimated that there is three times more data at the edge than in the cloud. However, it is infeasible, if not impossible, to move all the edge data to the cloud or datacenter for processing. It is best to process data as close to the source as possible and push only business-relevant data to the cloud or datacenter. Data processed at the edge can provide better and more immediate insight, decision making, and results at the source, where that particular data is most relevant. Processing data at the edge can also improve:
- Security: some data is considered too sensitive to move across the internet to the cloud, even if encrypted and in a virtual private cloud
- Compliance: there are regulations in many countries that dictate where and how data can be stored which prevents using the cloud
- Bandwidth: some data is so large that it is not feasible to move it from its source to the cloud
- Latency: in some situations the network latency of moving data to the cloud and back again is impractical or even dangerous
- Reliability: system safety or business continuity may demand local processing of data to avoid possible network outages
- Cost: moving very large amounts of data across the internet and storing in the cloud can be expensive
Computing at the edge provides many benefits, but there are also challenges, which requires a holistic approach – a true edge computing solution.