By: Mark Christie and Kevin Mooney
Enterprise IT community Gestalt IT recently conducted an independent product review of StorMagic SvSAN 6.2 with Fornetix Key Orchestration. Lab reviewer Paul Woodward Jr., a VMware expert and systems engineer, thoroughly tested the solution, including its primary enhancement, data-at-rest encryption. The review is an unbiased look at SvSAN, and provides valuable insights for current and prospective end users looking for simple, but powerful virtual storage or hyperconverged infrastructure.
Paul installed the software on existing hardware to emulate the customer experience, and explored features and functionality including encryption, performance and failure testing to explore how a customer installation might look.
Key findings reported from the real-world lab test include:
- Straightforward installation
- Hardware agnostic
- Responsive support team during a timeout occurrence on VSA deployment, and an IP issue that arose during deployment
- Rich encryption features including the ability to encrypt new and existing datastores, datastore decrypting, and re-key
- Documentation was ample and provided multiple test scenarios, but needed to be updated for cohesion and clarity (StorMagic has already begun working on this based on Paul’s feedback)
- Minimal performance differences noted between the local storage and the SvSAN datastore as well as when encryption was enabled
- No performance impact during failure testing, including hard drive removal, ESXi host shutdown, VSA power down and disconnection from the storage host
Gestalt IT’s closing recommendation is as follows:
“I was impressed with my experience with StorMagic’s SvSAN. From no prior exposure to running production ready datastores in approximately an hour. The solution performed well under duress. Overall, StorMagic SvSAN is an excellent choice for those in need of a solid remote office/branch office solution that is reliable and cost effective.”
StorMagic and Fornetix enjoyed the opportunity to work with Paul and Gestalt IT, and appreciate the candid, behind-the-scenes look from the viewpoint of an end user. We’re already drawing from the findings to tighten up our processes and documentation.
Additional StorMagic/ Fornetix Resources
If you are interested in test driving a new edge-based encryption solution with key management, StorMagic and Fornetix are currently offering free trials of their software solutions. Download installation instructions at the links below:
Replay our webcast, “Encryption’s Evolution in Today’s GDPR Compliant World” on demand and access the accompanying slide deck at this link.
For more information about how StorMagic and Fornetix jointly deliver data encryption in edge environments, please refer to the solution brief.
Mark Christie is a Principal Engineer for StorMagic and Kevin Mooney is a Solutions Engineering Manager at Fornetix.