Sign of the times: changes in retail IT
The mindset towards onsite IT has changed drastically. Over the years there has been a distinct move away from the traditional hefty store IT infrastructure towards more investment into implementing streamlined environments that are decentralized in application control but centralized in management.
For retail IT, ensuring uptime of critical applications across their stores is number 1 priority as application downtime directly impacts the bottom line. Unfortunately, more time is often spent putting out metaphorical fires than fireproofing.
Moving away from clunky tech
This is why enterprise IT are turning to Virtual Storage Appliances (VSA) as an alternative or replacement for their remote site Storage Area Networks. SAN solutions provide the shared storage required to ensure availability of data and applications – but they can often create more fires than they prevent. This is because:
– On might virtualize store environments for simplicity and improved management. SAN solutions re-complicate these environments and require specialist storage expertise to manage and maintain.
– SAN solutions are a high CAPEX and OPEX investment which over time requires additional upgrades and eventual retirement.
– Although a SAN solution is implemented to provide availability of data/applications, it is a single point of failure in the environment. 2 or more SAN solutions would be required to remedy this and this would of course increase CAPEX.
Retailers are rethinking their infrastructure approach to keep up with the winds of change. As the retail technology stack evolves, so does the architecture approach to software.
StorMagic’s VSA solution, SvSAN, achieves affordable application uptime, shared storage, high availability and reliability while eliminating the need for physical storage networks at your retail stores.
SvSAN, is the ideal solution for remote sites:
– Simple to use and manage.
– Significantly reduced capital costs
– Automated, fast and easy deployment over dozens, hundreds and thousands of remote sites
– Low ongoing operational costs
– Small footprint
– Hardware independence
– Excellent application performance
– True 2 server High Availability (HA) without local quorum server requirement
To find out more, why not check out our SvSAN data sheet or download a free trial and put our solution to the test?